Thrift Society



I absolutely love thrifting! I mean what woman doesn't love to bargain shop? It has become something that my mom and I do together and we have become really good thrifters if you ask me. When I go in, I go in on a mission. I know what things I want to find and I search diligently until I find what I am looking for. Although some people aren't big on thrifting (I used to be the same), I have come to understand that there is a method to the madness and some of my best finds receive the most admirers. Some days are better than most. Some days when I walk in, I may not have any expectations, but come out with things that I couldn't be happier about. Those days get me excited and ready for my next haul! While thrifting yesterday, I kept hearing God explain to me how this favorite pastime of mine is very similar to the bible and life.


Some of the most famous and eye-opening stories in the Bible were told about people who were rejected by society through their actions. Those who were murderers, tax collectors, thieves, adulterers, and so on. These people were no longer considered worthy, tossed to the side, and in the process, lost hope. Typically when we sin, we carry the stigma that society has placed on us everywhere we go. We carry the hurt, shame, humiliation, guilt, and frustration right into the next phase of our lives. We deem ourselves as unworthy and useless.

“No one will ever forgive me.”“I’m not good enough.”“Who would ever love someone like me?”

This is where God and I have something in common… He loves thrifting too! Those people who thought that they were unworthy and couldn’t be used for a higher purpose were the same people that God sought after to help complete His will for earth.

“God doesn’t call the qualified, He qualifies the called.”-Anonymous

God will shop around in search of you! He will seek after you, fight for you, and love on you like no other. In a world full of chaos, disappointment, and darkness, He will shop around looking for His chosen ones and will help them realize and fulfill their purpose. He was even gracious enough to send us a Savior to make sure that no one was left behind.

“For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.” (Luke 19:10 ESV)

So if you ever feel like you’ve been tossed to the side and lack value, remember that what man refuses to appreciate, God will and He will use you to dress up what was once considered “ordinary.”

“For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.” (Psalm 139: 13-15 ESV)

Know that you are worthy and know that God wants you. Your presence brings a certain style to the earth that only you can. :-)







Rochelle Burnley is a queen of all trades. She loves the Lord and desires to spread His love and light to everyone that she is blessed to touch. A producer by profession, she intends to use her gift of storytelling to spread the good news and to represent Christ. A proud Baltimore native, Rochelle leaves trails of purple along her life's journey. She is a chocolate connoisseur; as well as a lover of good movies, music, books, and food. She takes the phrase "shop until you drop" seriously. She holds a bachelor's degree in Journalism and Communications from Hampton University and is currently enrolled in The New School for an M.S. in Media Management.

SUBSCRIBE

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Image and video hosting by TinyPic