Detour





Roadblock.


I had ten minutes to get Aiden to school and I was facing a roadblock.  The suggested detour would take me on the opposite side of town.  Fortunately, I was able to get Aiden to school just shy of the tardy bell.  So, the next day as I prepared to take Aiden to school I felt God nudge me to go the other way, but I said to myself “the work should be complete by now...the road is probably not blocked anymore...I’m just going to go my way.” 


Roadblock.


Faced with the same dilemma as the day before I rushed to get Aiden to school and made it just in time…Barely.


So, the next day I got smart and went the way God had directed me to go.  Lo and behold…the route was a lot smoother and I only encountered one school zone versus three.  We made it to his school in record time.  I started to think…


Why didn’t I go this way sooner?  Why was I so set on going the other way?”

That’s when I heard God say…


 HABITS

a recurrent, often unconscious pattern of behavior that is acquired through frequent repetition”


We have a tendency to coast through life on auto-pilot.  It’s only when we face “roadblocks” and “detours” that we are made to consider an alternate route or way of doing things.    

There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death.”
Proverbs 14:12 (NLT)
 
Our walk with Christ often requires that we examine our habits.  Our character is a direct manifestation of our habits…those things we do the most.  Too often we seek to cling to our way of doing things when God is striving to enhance our character by helping us to develop better habits. 

God uses roadblocks (obstacles) and detours (deviations) from our normal course as a means to awaken us and break the unconscious patterns of behavior.  He allows us to encounter increased inconvenience in some areas in an effort to make us question…


Why am I going this way?  Why am I doing it this way?  Is there another way?”


It’s when we start asking these questions that God provides us with the wisdom that we need to adopt habits that glorify Him and in my case make my early morning commute a whole lot easier.


Don’t hit that same roadblock again today…the path may clear, but instead of hoping it does so that you can keep doing things your way afford God the opportunity to show you an alternate way of doing things.  God may not create the roadblock, but He will use them to help you employ a change of direction if He deems it necessary.  Refuse to limit God in your life by insisting on maintaining your current course of action.  Remain sensitive to the current “roadblocks” and “detours” in your life.  Approach God in prayer to determine if He is seeking to help you develop in a new area.  Don’t allow the comfort of doing things your way to keep you from walking in the full purpose for your life.  Ask God for new eyes to see opportunities for change in your life. 






Ashley Ivery is a single mother of two brilliant children, Aiden and Devyn, with an overwhelming desire to empower women and help them to realize the importance of a relationship with God.  Through her writing she hopes to encourage women to claim their strength and value in Christ.  Ashley serves as the Residential Listing Partner for Team Harris Real Estate.  She graduated from Fayetteville State University in 2012 with a BS in Psychology.  Her motto is:  "Be Authentic.  Live Honestly.  Dispel Light."


SUBSCRIBE

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Image and video hosting by TinyPic