You Have Been Unfollowed

Social networking sites provide a unique opportunity to stay informed and connected. However, I don’t have a stomach for a lot of foolishness. I’m passionate about guarding my heart so I love my “un-follow button.” I seek to follow individuals that inspire, encourage, and motivate me. Save the rest.

One day a guy called me on un-following him (yea…really) on a social media site and I caught myself ready to apologize and insist that it wasn’t personal; however, I realized it was personal. This guy did not have anything positive to say and I felt absolutely no need to knowingly subject myself to his negativity and lewd photos. So, with love I informed him that his posts didn't vibe with my spirit and I saw no further reason for us to “connect.”

However, it’s important to note that my initial response was to lessen the blow by apologizing, but I realized that I can’t seek to please people and make decisions that align with the work God is striving to do in me. I must remain intentional about guarding my heart and timeline regardless of the consequences.

We can love and seek to meet the needs of people daily, but through actions that illuminate the truth within God’s word not gestures solely designed to “people-please” or maintain artificial harmony. We can’t afford to accommodate those things that conflict with our spirit because in doing so we grieve our greatest help--The Holy Spirit. He’s working hard to get us right, but have to play our part by guarding our heart.

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or God? Or, am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men; I would not be a servant to Christ" --Galatians 1:10--NIV

So, today refuse to accommodate things or people that are in direct conflict with your spirit. Stop sacrificing your growth and your walk with Christ for the sake of approval or acceptance. It’s not worth it. Recognize that as long as you are serving God you will not please everyone. If there is a follower count that you want to be concerned with let it be followers of Christ not the number of likes, RT’s, pins, friends, or subscribers. Our value is derived from Christ and Him alone. Guard your heart and your timeline.





Ashley Ivery is a single mother of two brilliant children, Aiden and Devyn, with an overwhelming desire to empower women and help them to realize the importance of a relationship with God. Through her writing she hopes to encourage women to claim their strength and value in Christ. She graduated from Fayetteville State University in 2012 with a BS in Psychology. Her motto is: "Be Authentic. Live Honestly. Dispel Light."

SUBSCRIBE

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Image and video hosting by TinyPic