Weekly Bite with Natalie

Guest Series by Natalie Borton


This is part of a series called Weekly Bite, featuring plant-based recipes I've cooked from around the web. Links will take you to the original recipe—all recipes without links are created by me and shared at the bottom of the post. Catch up on previous posts here.

Due to a packed week and travel plans this weekend, I didn't cook nearly as much as I did last week. However, I did manage to try two new recipes, as well as several delicious dishes in San Francisco, which I'll be sharing with you today (stay tuned for the Wanderlust guide to the city—it's coming soon!)








This was absolutely amazing! My friend Karen made this with corn and bell peppers added, and I think that would make this even better. I recommend topping it with Sriracha or chipotle hot sauce for an extra kick.





I forgot to add the ginger, and I didn’t have turmeric and cardamom on hand. It still came out great, but next time I’d try following the recipe exactly. I do recommend serving it in a bread bowl—it was delicious!



Vegan Pilgrim Sandwich // Ike's Place

Made with cranberry sauce, sriracha, vegan cheese and vegan turkey, this is far from a "whole foods" meal, but tastes a lot like Thanksgiving leftovers. I loved it!



Soy Matcha Green Tea Latte // Peet's Coffee & Tea

Simple and delicious, this new latte from Peet's warmed me up during the chilly San Francisco weekend. Made with just soy milk and matcha green tea powder (and sweetener, if you like), it's simple, nourishing and tasty.



Black Garlic & Miso Glazed Tempeh // Millennium Restaurant

Let's just say I didn't leave anything on my plate! Here's how the website describes this dish: kim chee fried Bhutanese red rice, snap peas & edamame, watercress-chrysanthemum green salad with yuzu-ginger vinaigrette, toasted peanuts, spicy pickled Thai chile & fuyu persimmon relish. Yum!



Vegan Rancheros // St. Francis Fountain



Before I was entirely vegan, Huevos Rancheros was one of my favorite breakfasts. I admit, I've missed it a little bit over the past year and a half, but this vegan version completely satisfied that craving. Once again, my plate was scraped clean by the end of the meal!

Since it looks like the Milk Free Mom website is under construction, I thought I'd share her chili recipe right here for anyone who wants to try it this week...

Vegan Quinoa & Sweet Potato Chili
Makes 6 hearty bowls of chili

29 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
6 oz can tomato paste
32 oz vegetable stock
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
1 cup dry quinoa
salt and pepper to taste
avocado, cilantro for garnish (optional)

Heat the oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium low heat. Add onions, and cook until soft and they start to turn brown (about 10 minutes). Add the garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the beans, stock, and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the quinoa. Continue cooking for about 15 minutes – 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until quinoa and potatoes are cooked and the chili has thickened. Add a bit of water if the chili becomes too thick for your liking. Top with avocado and chopped cilantro.

What was the best thing you ate last week?



SUBSCRIBE

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Image and video hosting by TinyPic