The Maintenance Man: Out with the Old, In with the New

I have a washer and dryer combination in my apartment. I vowed a few years ago that when I had the opportunity, it would definitely be an upgrade I wouldn’t miss out on. Ever since then, God has blessed me with one. However, growing up I was always in the laundry mat washing clothes. After leaving, we would hang the wet clothes in the house so they could dry. It became a habit, as soon as we got home; every door and chair was adorned with wet clothing.

A few months ago, my dryer stopped working and I reverted back to what I knew; I hung the clothes throughout the house. I didn’t even think to call the maintenance man to fix it. It’s a free service and I didn’t bother to call them to fix it, even though I was annoyed that it wasn’t fixed. Why? My way of old way of thinking seemed to have blocked my common sense.

It bothered me that the dryer wasn’t fixed, but I didn’t do anything about it. I was so used to things not working: relationships, finances, cars, you name it. If it was broke, I could conjure up an alternative to get me by. However, once my living situation was upgraded, my standard of living should have been too. Especially, since I had access to the maintenance man, who could fix the broken dryer at no charge.

We do the same thing when we accept Jesus in our lives. He upgrades our way of living, loving, and thinking. He already paid the price for our salvation, so it’s free of charge (Colossians 1:13-14; 1 Timothy 2:6). All we have to do is call on him. Put in your work order and let him be your maintenance man. There is no need for us to live broken in spirit about any situation because God can and will heal us if we call on him. He knows every intricate detail about us!

Its time to call on the best maintenance man there is; get the old way of thinking out, so you can start anew!

God knows the moment we have an issue and we have access to him in our prayers and worship. Sure, you can still maneuver in your current situation, but you will remain broken. Your process will take longer to be resolved because you’ve decided to come up with a temporary fix; you don’t have to live like this. You have to change your way of thinking because your ideas may not be the most beneficial. You don’t even have to use your own mind to think of a solution; he’s given you the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16).

Just like your home is now cluttered with clothes hanging throughout the place, your mind will be cluttered trying to fix problems outside your abilities. Maybe you are more qualified than I am to fix a dryer, but you are not qualified to fix you! Go to the Father, the Son is waiting to intercede on your behalf.

What have you allowed to remain broken?

Godly Reminders

Romans 12:2, “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn and know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.”

2nd Corinthians 5: 17-18, “This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun! And all this is a gift from God, who brought us back to himself through Christ. And God has given us this task of reconciling people back to him.”

Psalm 40:8, “I take joy in doing your will, my God, for your instructions are written on my heart.”

SUBSCRIBE

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Image and video hosting by TinyPic