Our Careers as Our Ministry

By Fadia Patterson







Ever found yourself idolizing someone you know or a celebrity so much so that you wanted to be just like them or have their life? As a young lady pursuing the next level in her broadcast journalism career; I just wanted to take a brief moment to talk about being a fanatic and how it diminishes our faith in God. As I work in the media I see all of the celebrities that are glorified and admired. We see them on reality TV, on magazine covers, on Facebook and other social media sites. Sometimes it's difficult to avoid these "celebrities" who are virtually modern day idols.


"No matter who we are or where we are we need to accept who we are and where we are because it has not taken God by surprise."


Ever since I was a little girl; there were many noble women that I looked up to including Oprah, Kathleen Battle, New York News Anchors; Roz Abrams and Sue Simmons.  These women have blazed amazing trails for women and minorities in Broadcasting. I was in love with the Oprah show; I wanted Kathleen Battle's voice and I wanted to anchor the nightly news like Roz and Sue!

We certainly live in a world that celebrates certain images rather than individual uniqueness.  It's very simple to go off on the tangent and idea that you need to live this person's life and achieve all of the things they have to be successful or happy. And of course, this is so not true!


"Although I admire Oprah, I do not ever wish to have her's or anyone's life because we all were blessed with our own portion."


No matter who we are or where we are we need to accept who we are and where we are  because it has not taken God by surprise. So many times, I hear people say that I wish I had this person's life or are wanting what they believe is making another person happy.  I'm certain that there were many little girls, such as myself who wanted to be the next Oprah; the next hottest star, or the next multi-billionaire. However, have they thought twice about all the trials that came before that celebrity's or entrepreneur's success? Not everything is as easy as it appears. Surely we see the glitz and glam of their celebrity; but not the prayers, tears and low moments.

". .We see the glitz and glam of their celebrity; but not the prayers, tears and low moments."


In my short time on this earth I've realized that you cannot live to be exactly like anyone other than you. You must allow yourself to be the person that Christ created you to be otherwise there is no need for your existence.  Do you realize that you are the apple of God's Eye? You are the head and not the tail. You were created for God's glory and he wants you to blaze a trail in his honor. I heard a Vlogger say it best; "God does not reheat blessings to serve you; he wants to give you something unique and fresh!" His word affirms that very notion;  Isaiah 43:19 says, "Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."

Indeed God is and will always do a new thing when it comes to all of the blessings in your life. We all have God-given gifts; but are unaware of how to use them. God has his idea for your life, relationships and career that far exceeds anything that you could ever imagine.  This includes our careers!  and our dreams! No matter what field we are in God is using it as our ministry to glorify God with the talents and abilities that he has given. That means that you don't have to be the next multimedia mogul, reality TV star or pop singer! We need not strive to achieve fame for ourselves.  I encourage you to think twice about who you are trying to please with such fame; God or man? God can catapult you to a status that exceeds your own expectations and it will be for his glory; not your own!


"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men" -Colossians 3:23

It's natural to want to excel and move forward in our careers; but God will always look at your heart and motives. True promotion ultimately comes from God!  Give God the chance to shape you unique career or ministry! I remember instances where I knew in my mind and heart that I was qualified for a job; but could not get a break or an opportunity to advance. But, God had the final say ultimately; he  has opened many doors for my career that I could have not dreamed of. I have also reset my mind to work to bring him honor. I no longer look at the path another individual's career is going in or their successes because I'm a believer in God's greater plan for my life.


For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. - Jer. 29:11


You were created by the almighty powerful God! He has a plan for your life and career.  Whatever it is that you do; do it unto God and watch him promote you every step of the way. It does no good to idolize the career, money, fame etc.  and idly worship the heavenly father who is worth far more than all of those worldly things. These worldly things will never bring the true eternal joy and peace that only God could give. They can all be gone in a moment! You can always position yourself to make a living to pay your life's expenses but, God has so much more in store and it is specifically for you. Use your life's work as your ministry to honor him.


Photo Credit: Crosswalk.com


SUBSCRIBE

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Image and video hosting by TinyPic