Withdraw


My son Aiden’s first love is CARS!  It’s the first word he learned to say, the first word he learned to spell, and the prime reason why I can recite nearly every line from the Pixar film “CARS” with Lightning McQueen, Sally, and my favorite---TOW MATER!

Do you remember the opening scene of Cars?   McQueen was so intent on securing the Piston Cup that he refused the necessary vehicle maintenance and chose to “Gas and Go.”  Though he had the fuel to complete the race he ignored the wear and tear to his tires and blew a tire just shy of crossing the finish line.

When I chose to take a break from writing a few months ago I dealt with an immense amount of guilt.  It bothered me.  But, I knew I needed it.   As I spent time with God in His word what stood out the most to me was: "He Withdrew.” I didn’t notice it before, but Jesus frequently withdrew.
After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray.”
Matthew 14:23 (NIV)

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.”
Mark 1:35 (NIV)

But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.”
Luke 5:16 (NIV)
Jesus kicked it with his disciples, performed miracles, and taught, but He made time and seized numerous opportunities to devote himself solely to His Father.  He delighted in spending time with His Father and refused to allow the incessant demands on His time to effect His relationship with Him.  He withdrew.  He spent time alone. He created personal days of Sabbath to rest, reflect, and worship.

So, today I encourage you to withdraw and spend time with God.  An empty pocket of time will not fall into your lap.  You must pursue time with God.  Place your spiritual health on your priority list. Dedicate time daily to getting to know God better.  Recognize how privileged we are to be able to talk to God and include Him in every detail of your life.  He cares about all of it!  Taking a break isn’t an option, but a necessary and often neglected component for a healthy and balanced life. Withdraw.  Allow God to completely service your “vehicle” through purposeful and intentional time with Him and I guarantee you will be prepared to go wherever He wants to take you…including securing that “Piston Cup.”


Written by Ashley Ivery

SUBSCRIBE

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Image and video hosting by TinyPic