Don't Look Down


I am so happy that the weather is finally warmer. My runner's high arrived a little early this year, so I have been looking forward to warmer weather since early March. It's been so nice to come home from a busy day, throw on some shorts and a tank, lace up my shoes, and bolt out the door in order to satisfy the thirst of my inner-runner.


I go to school in the city, so I run in some pretty crowded areas of the city at times as well. I absolutely love people, but I've always felt awkward running past strangers who run in the opposite direction as I do on the same sidewalk. I usually stare straight ahead or look down with each stranger in passing in order to avoid the so called awkwardness.

Half-way through my 7 mile run this past Thursday,  I randomly remembered something I heard on the radio a couple of weeks ago. The spokesperson was talking about the opportunities that we all have each day to be Jesus to someone, even if that's just through a simple smile in passing. I smiled to myself and also reminded myself in those few moments that we aren't called to be comfortable. Rather, we're called to step out of our comfort zones (Or, in my case, run out of my comfort zone). What a beautiful, wonderful, marvelous piece of Truth. I am so thankful God placed it on my heart in the midst of that run. Instead of looking down or staring straight ahead with each stranger in passing, I gave each one a smile for the rest of that run. I'll continue to do that for my runs from this point on as well. Showing kindness through a simple expression of a smile truly works wonders.

It doesn't matter if you get acknowledgement in return or not. What matters is that you showed someone a smile-something they may not have seen or received that day- and that smile showed them a glimpse of Jesus-you gave them a godly touch. The only one who should be looking down is Jesus, because he smiles down on us everyday. We are called to look up. We miss out on so much when we look down. Next time you go to the store, the park, out for a run, or anywhere out in public, look around you! Look up. Admire the creation and the community that surrounds you, and don't take it for granted. Acknowledge it. Embrace it. All of this is here for you, and it was made by the Source of a godly touch indeed. Hold on to this Truth, and walk forward in His grace today, tomorrow, and always.

I want to challenge you to offer someone [or many someones] a godly touch each day from here on out. It won't only have an effect on the receiver, but the giver as well (hey, that's you). I promise.

"The power of a godly touch. Have you known it? The doctor who treated you, or the teacher who dried your tears?  Was there a hand holding yours at a funeral?

Haven’t we known the power of a godly touch? Can’t we offer the same?

Some of you use your hands to pray for the sick. If you aren’t touching them personally, you’re writing notes, calling, baking pies.  You’ve learned the power of a touch.

But others tend to forget. Our hearts are good; it’s just that our memories are bad. We forget how significant one touch can be.

We fear saying the wrong thing, or using the wrong tone or acting the wrong way. So rather than do it incorrectly, we do nothing at all.

Aren’t we glad Jesus didn’t make the same mistake? Jesus touched the untouchables of the world. Will you do the same?" -Max Lucado
Be blessed today and always, ladies.



* * * 
Author: Emily Townsend
 
Emily Townsend is a 20 year old southern girl who has a heart for loving Jesus, loving others, and serving the world. She is currently pursuing a career in ministry as she continues to fall madly in love with Jesus by the day. Emily is also a lover books, coffee, koalas, Pinterest, Pilates, and weddings. Her daily dose of life consists of a little bit of coffee and a whole lot of Jesus. You can also find her blogging on her personal blog The Joy of My Joy.

SUBSCRIBE

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Image and video hosting by TinyPic