The Root of the Heart


There was a time when I used curse words in excess. I had a “potty mouth.” I’m a reader so I have a decent vocabulary, but I felt some situations warranted a curse word. I know…terrible.

When I began this walk with Christ I knew I had to stop cursing and so I did…kind of. Instead of actually saying the curse word I would “bleep” it out. I even created alternate words to use in exchange for curse words.

One day God said, “Ashley…you may not be saying the word, but your intent is the same. You are cursing. You must allow me to address the root of the problem…your heart.”

“Out of the abundance of your heart your mouth speaks.”

Our words originate within our heart. Our thoughts, behavior, and words are a reflection of what we hold in abundance within our heart.

When we don’t recognize the depth of our problem our focus tends to be shallow. We focus on the behavior without seeking to discover the origin of the behavior. We employ our will power and seek to abstain from that behavior as opposed to seeking his power for true and lasting change.

So, today don’t just pray for willpower to abstain from a behavior. Pray for His power to change you through addressing the root problem…your heart. We must stop seeking to cover an odor with fragrance and allow God find the source of the odor and dispose of it. Go deeper with God and allow Him to address the source. Allow God to shape your heart first and the rest will follow.





Ashley Ivery is a single mother of two brilliant children, Aiden and Devyn, with an overwhelming desire to empower women and help them to realize the importance of a relationship with God. Through her writing she hopes to encourage women to claim their strength and value in Christ. Ashley serves as the Residential Listing Partner for Team Harris Real Estate. She graduated from Fayetteville State University in 2012 with a BS in Psychology. Her motto is: "Be Authentic. Live Honestly. Dispel Light."

SUBSCRIBE

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Image and video hosting by TinyPic