God is In the Kitchen


by Dori Cass


They say the kitchen is the heart of the home. It’s the place where people gather and comfort abides. It is the one room of the house that appeals to all senses. From the kitchen comes sustenance and life. 

My mother was at home in the kitchen. It was her office. Her easel. Her sanctuary. Every meal was a masterpiece and was put together with great forethought, planning and execution. Holiday meals were my mother's world series and she hit the ball out of the park with each one.

As mom taught me how to cook, she bestowed upon me tools for life. Early on I learned the tools of the trade and how to equip myself and my kitchen for success. At her side she taught me the importance of following recipes, the gift of servitude, and the joy of family and yes, cleanliness is next to godliness. Ha.

Considering it now I see that the kitchen was the schoolroom for life. Working alongside of her in the kitchen I learned about being a wife and mother. And just recently I found the correlation between a woman's kitchen and God's heart...the holy of holies. If you'll look closely enough you, too, will find that God is in the kitchen.

Walk into any kitchen and you will find it stocked with a host of basic ingredients – ingredients that ensure success. Kitchens for centuries have had the following....curtains, an apron, a sink or basin, utensils, stove with the home fire burning– a fridge– at least one table,, counters, cups, plates, spoons, forks, knives, perhaps a butcher block, water, spices, flour, sugar, oil and bread.

Read Exodus 25 and walk through Gods Tabernacle and you find the precise recipe God gave for The Tabernacle - colorful blue, purple and red curtains, fragrant incense burnt upon the altar or table; oil made from fine spices and olive oil which was used for anointing, the bronze basin/tub, lamp-stand, table of show bread and the priests. God carefully chose each element for the Tabernacle in right proportions – all that was needed to bring right relationship between his people and himself. 

Aaron and his sons were called forth to be the priests and they were consecrated. Loaves of bread were prepared with flour and oil without yeast. An animal was brought forth and butchered and prepared as an offering. Special garments were created with perfect precision to be the outerwear for the priests to wear. The priests were brought to the basin and washed. Throughout the chapter of Exodus 29 are precise instructions creating the perfect recipe if you will to bring about God’s blessing. A recipe for grace and forgiveness.

One described the heart of the home and family, the other the heart of God. Both brought into perfect unison when adhering to the recipe's given in proper proportion. Love, forgiveness, faith, patience, kindness, compassion, truth, serving others, hope, purity. With great care, forethought and planning he gave us each ingredient in good measure to bring us the sweetest tasting, most divine life we could create. 

As I stand in the middle of the kitchen and glance about I see pieces of my mama...her apron, her favorite nesco roaster, spice shakers and bowls. And as I look about my kitchen I see today's reflections of God's instructions...olive oil, my potpourri scent burner, spices, bread, a table and a basin. I am aware of the elements and aware of the blessings if I follow the instructions. And I am aware of the loving instruction given by God and my mama. 

“As for other matters, brothers and sisters, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. 2 For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus. For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore anyone who rejects this instruction does not reject a human being, but God the very God who gives you his Holy Spirit.” --1 Thessalonians 1, 2, 


SUBSCRIBE

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Image and video hosting by TinyPic