When Life Gets Irrational


I've never made a major decision in my life with a blueprint. What are the pros and cons of this decision? What will I gain? What will I lose? What resources do I need to pursue? What are my next steps after the decision is made? If those steps happen to fail me, oh don't worry. I have a backup blueprint, complete with all the details ready to be implemented. I look ahead and I can see the lay of the land. Every detail flows and every decision is rational. You can say that I like to stay ahead of the game. In other words, I'm a control freak.

Now I find myself in strange territory that was not in my plan. As I transition from undegrad to adulthood, I find my hands empty of the blueprint I held in my hands for three years. Nothing in my life makes sense and it's scary.

Have you ever felt like that? You lived your life with a plan in mind, all for it to be ruined by unexpectancy. You knew what you were going to be after college and where you were going to live but now you're unemployed and living with your parents. You were sure what your passion was and worked hard to be an expert in that indistury, but now you find yourself second guessing who you are. You worked hard to get his attention, and you did, but now you're in a relationship that is quickly going south.

Why do we work so hard for things that aren't in the will God preordained for us? Why do we feel the need to do extra in our lack of trust, when God has already gave us the resources we need to fulfill the work?

Oftentimes we build these foundations in our lives consisted of dreams, visions and desires that is motivated by our flesh, forgetting that our foundation has already been laid.

"For no one can lay any foundation other than the one we already have—Jesus Christ." (1 Corinthians 3:11 NLT)

"Unless the Lord builds a house, the work of the builders is wasted..."(Psalms 127:1 NLT)

Our lives can look irrational at times when we don't know what we're doing or where our lives are going. In our search for rationality, we begin to lay foundations that are made by our own hands and making our works become vain because God's hand isn't in it. We take away the trust factor in our relationship with God when we place it in our own decision making.

1 Corinthians 3:11 tells us that our lives are standing on Jesus Christ. We don't have to worry about our house (our lives) falling when unexpected earthquakes try to shake our foundation.

God wants to transform our minds from self-efficiency to full reliance on Him, putting our trust on the foundation of truth that is already laid in our lives.

Like Martha in Luke 10:38-42, we can find ourselves worried about every detail in our life and unintentionally, we can mute the voice of God from giving us the instructions we need.

Jesus says "You are worried and upset over all the details. There is only one thing worth being concerned about." (Luke 10:41,42)

In this season of uncertainity, we should be at the feet of Jesus daily, listening to what he is teaching us and applying it to our lives. We should be eating the scroll and believing that His word is true and will not return to us void. This is what creates Godly character and builds our faith. This is what's going to equip us for the purpose and destiny on our lives.

Rest in the fact that your foundation is laid and your steps are ordered. If you take heed to the teaching of our Father, one day you'll look up and see your house complete and glorious in the sight of the Lord.


[photo credit: Shannon Lee Miller]


Dymonica Hurdle is an eclectic 21 year old lover of Jesus. With a heart for God's people, she hopes to live life giving it away, spreading the love of God while serving the least of thees. If she's not slowly penning letters, she's painting her nails and on Pinterest. Follow her journey with Jesus at pronouncedpeculiar.wordpress.com, Facebook/Twitter/Instagram @itsDymonica

SUBSCRIBE

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Image and video hosting by TinyPic