He Calls You Friend

By Jarrad Miller



God is the greatest friend we can ever have! I know to some that may sound crazy, but let’s just take a moment and evaluate the qualities of a friend. 

A friend is defined as: an intimate associate; association of familiarity and companionship. The number one quality in any friendship is TRUST! You can trust that person with all of your secrets, without having to worry about whether if they will expose you or not. A friend is someone that you can depend on. That person will be there for you through thick and thin. A friend will love you, value you, and cherish you for who you are, not for what you can do for them.

I can honestly say, I haven’t met too many people like that. But there is One Faithful Gentleman I know and His name is Jesus! He desires to have an intimate relationship with the people He created. He does not want or desire rituals, but intimacy! He tells us in Revelations: “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hears my voice, and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with me.” Jesus wants to have fellowship with us, and He wants us to open up to Him. He is patient and persistent in trying to get through to us—not breaking and entering, but “knocking” (3:20). You have the option to invite Him into your “home” or leave Him outside to stand in the cold.

Unfortunately, many people choose to ignore Him. I ignored Jesus the majority of my life. I grew up in a home where God was revered, but it just wasn’t real to me. I was living life seeking the approval of man, all the while Christ was just left outside, wanting to fill me with His love; the love I desired so much. The pleasures of the world—money, security, material possessions—can be dangerous, because their temporary satisfaction makes us indifferent to God’s offer of lasting satisfaction.

Today, I live my life dedicated to God, for “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Gal. 2:20). One day I was walking on my way to work and the Lord spoke to and said, “I desire to be friends with my people.”

Pretense displeases God, especially when it comes to His “service.” Jesus said, “These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men” (Matt. 15:8-9). 

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. - John 15:13-15

Because Jesus Christ is Lord and Master, He should call us servants, instead He calls us friends. How comforting and pleasing to be chosen as Christ’s friends. Because He is Lord and Master, we owe Him our unqualified obedience, but most of all, Jesus calls us to obey Him because we love Him.

God wants our time.
God wants our commitment.
God wants our hearts, for He is the lover of our souls.

Make a decision to today to put God first, and He will give you the desires of your heart.

SUBSCRIBE

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Image and video hosting by TinyPic