When Lonely is Your Only Best Friend


I'm sure we have all felt that cold, dark feeling of loneliness at least one point in our lives. It's the feeling that you can get in a quiet room by yourself, or even in a crowd full of people. It's the feeling that can come along from being different than others, from feeling as if you have no one.


There has been many times in my life when I have felt this way. Since I am more of an introvert, I'd rather have a few close friends than several friends. I'd rather stay at home and write rather than hang out with my friends all weekend. But because of this, and because of the fact that I am different from others my age, there has been several times when I have felt as if I have no one. When I have felt completely alone.

However, I have learned that loneliness isn't a feeling that disappears once you make a few friends. There are some people who may have several friends yet still feel as if they have no one. This is because humans cannot ultimately fill the emptiness inside of you. Loneliness is a hole that only has room for God.

When you feel as if you have no one, realize that this is only a lie from the enemy. You have all you ever need in Christ. When you feel lonely, remember that God is there. He is always with you. (Matt. 28:2)

"I cry to God to help me.
From his palace he hears my call;
My cry brings me right into his presence..." ~Psalm 18:6

Sure, it might not be easy seeing so many teenagers at your school going out every weekend. Yet despite how lonely you may feel, remember that you are never really alone. No matter how quiet it is, no matter how many friends you may have. Refuse to allow yourself to fall into this miserable state of mind. Instead, talk to God. Spend time with Him, in His presence. Use this time wisely by allowing God to become your best friend rather than the loneliness that you feel. He may be allowing you to go through this season just so you can come to know Him more.

And keep in mind that God does have great plans for you, plans that will not harm you (Jer. 29:11). Trust in Him. Trust that, although things may not be looking so great right now, this is happening for a reason. God knows exactly what you're going through and promises to never leave you nor forsake you (Deut. 31:6).

Think about Job. He had everything taken away from Him--his children, his fortune, even his health. Yet He knew that He still had everything He needed in God. That was the only thing that truly mattered. Absolutely nothing is able to separate us from God and the love that He offers (Romans 8:35-39). If you would only call upon Him, He can overwhelm you with a love so deep that will completely fill all of the emptiness inside of you. I am actually thankful for the seasons of loneliness that God has allowed me to go through, because I seriously don't think I would be where I am now in my relationship with Him.

So rather than allowing loneliness to become your best friend and wallowing yourself in self-pity, use your weakened condition to pull you closer to Christ (2 Corin. 12:9). Spend this time with Him. God is always ready to listen. He knows everything about you--including the amount of hairs on your head. He even knows you better than you know yourself. And He is trust-worthy. He is faithful. He is everything you could every long for in a best friend, in a soul-mate, and in a Father. All in One.

"I'm an open book to you;
even from a distance, you know what I am thinking.
You know when I leave and when I get back;
I'm never out of your sight.
You know everything I'm going to say
before I start the first sentence.
I look behind me and you're there,
then up ahead and you're there, too--
your reassuring presence, coming and going.
This is too much, too wonderful--
I can't take it all in!
Is there any place I can go to avoid your Spirit?
to be out of your sight?
If I climb to the sky, you're there!
If I go underground, you're there!...
Then I said to myself,"Oh, he even sees me in the dark!
At night I'm immersed in the light!"...
You know me inside and out,
you know every bone in my body;...
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth...
~Psalm 139:2-16







Tessa Hall is a 19-year-old coffeeholic and author of Purple Moon. She is also the editor over the faith department for Temperance Magazine, as well as a contributing writer for Imagine Mag, More To Be, & Real Teen Faith. She loves acting, music, Starbucks, and her imperial Shih Tzu—who is named Brewer after a character in her book, as well as her love for coffee.

SUBSCRIBE

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Image and video hosting by TinyPic