Let Praise Replace Your Complaint









Each morning before I drop my son Aiden off at school we say a little prayer…


Father God,Thank you for today.  Help me to have a great day.  Help me to be a leader.  Help to me make smart decisions.  Help me to watch my mouth.  You are awesome God.  I love you.In Jesus Name,Amen


And, see right around that, “watch your mouth,” part I tend to get checked … a subtle prompt from God to pray over my own mouth.  Some days my salvation doesn't extend to include my mouth …


Over the past few weeks I have become that person.  You know the complainer, mumbler, grumbler, overly critical, and excessively irritable person.  I told God that if He would cast greater favor on my troublesome houses and grant my clients a little more common sense I would feel less inclined to moan, groan, and complain …


But, I know that I just need to watch my mouth.  I remember listening to a Joyce Meyer podcast a few months back where she stated…


“Complain and Remain.  Praise and Be Raised.”


I think about how much I've vented and complained about my discontentment at work and I can’t help, but think that might also lend to the duration of my time in my current situation.  As long as my attitude continues to be negative I miss out on the opportunity to seize whatever it is that God is seeking to develop within me.  


We must determine whether or not we are going to allow our attitude to reflect our circumstances or our relationship with God.  Every person we interact with will be affected by us to some degree.  We may be able to encourage them, slightly or significantly, to smile, laugh, or experience greater peace.  Determine what type of affect you will have on people by ensuring that the things you say are truly necessary, valuable, and helpful.  Ask God to help you watch your mouth. 


It’s important to remain truthful.  Some days may be frustrating, disappointing, and challenging…Admit that.  Walking with Christ doesn't mean we deny the reality of our situation.  So, acknowledge the challenges you are facing.  God doesn't want you to feign artificial optimism.  He knows what you’re feeling…talk to Him about it.  He’s your safe place.  Utilize your sisters and brothers in Christ or your accountability partners.  They can afford you greater perspective and shed biblical insight into your situation. 


I know that I will continue to have challenging days.  So, I offer up the following prayer during those challenging times…


Father God-Thank you for today.  It’s been a hard day.  I’m frustrated.  I’m upset.  But, I believe you are working in and around me.  I know that Your word is true.  I believe in You.  Help me to maintain perspective.  Help me to forgo pity parties and vent sessions.  Show me how to devote my energy to something more productive than complaining.  Help me to remain cognizant of how my attitude, my complaining, my venting, and my frustrations affect other people when continually articulated.  Help me to watch my mouth.  I appreciate You.  I love you.  In Jesus Name,  Amen










 Ashley Ivery is a single mother of two brilliant children, Aiden and Devyn, with an overwhelming desire to empower women and help them to realize the importance of a relationship with God.  Through her writing she hopes to encourage women to claim their strength and value in Christ.  Ashley serves as the Residential Listing Partner for Team Harris Real Estate.  She graduated from Fayetteville State University in 2012 with a BS in Psychology.  Her motto is:  "Be Authentic.  Live Honestly.  Dispel Light."


SUBSCRIBE

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Image and video hosting by TinyPic