Signs

When God sends you a sign ... are you listening?



I am a busy bee by nature. I always feel as if I have to be involved in something, whether its work related, school related, or doing something in my community, I am always moving. There was a short period of time when I returned back to my hometown and was unemployed. During this time, I was bored out of my mind. Instead of looking at this as a sign from God to rest and recoup in preparation for my next assignment, I looked at it as a season of unfruitfulness. Once I was hired, I came home from work and yearned for more to do. I eventually filled my schedule up with many activities and found myself overwhelmed and exhausted. I needed rest, I needed to breathe, and I needed to not have anyone ask me for anything else. I needed His peace.

“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11: 28-30 ESV)

As servants of Christ, we have a tendency to believe that we have to always be in “serve” mode. There is nothing wrong with that, but we must also remember to serve ourselves. What good are we to others, if we aren't taking care of ourselves first? God loves a cheerful giver, but we must also remember to receive. We need to seek Him and receive His peace in return for our burdens. We can’t run ourselves ragged trying to be the perfect Christians, when that in itself is an unobtainable goal. We will never be perfect, there will always be more work to do, and our work alone will never be enough. It is a team effort. Christ is on our team and He wants to be given His portion as well.

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20 ESV)

Making sure that we are well rested is a huge part in honoring our bodies, which ultimately honors God. If we aren't in our best physical shape, then how do we expect to be in our best spiritual state? God wants us to be both of service to others and to ourselves. In doing this, we are glorifying Him in the best way. Taking care of us first places us in a better position to take care of others. If we choose to be stubborn and proceed into the next season without resting, God will make sure we rest one way or another. Be obedient and rest when He tells you to. It only helps us to fulfill His will and our purpose for life.




Rochelle Burnley is a queen of all trades. She loves the Lord and desires to spread His love and light to everyone that she is blessed to touch. A producer by profession, she intends to use her gift of storytelling to spread the good news and to represent Christ. She holds a bachelor's degree in Journalism and Communications from Hampton University and is currently enrolled in The New School for an M.S. in Media Management.

SUBSCRIBE

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Image and video hosting by TinyPic